Saturday, November 8, 2008

new melbourne sounds for your listening pleasure

I did a gig at Pony (legendary Melbourne rock venue) last weekend and saw three bands that I had never heard of or only new a little of. They were playing on the same bill and I was totally blown away by all of them. They were all pushing some sort of limit, whether that be distortion, rhythm, length of pieces, form or even conventional style, and each act played music that I felt like I had hardly any reference point to. Incredibly refreshing when so many musicians I know are so highly committed to playing in a revisionist manner. The new always excites.
The line up was
Touch Typist
Zond
10000 Killed in Chile (the band I was playing with)
and Duck Duck Chop

Check them all out and support those trying to push new ideas rather than the easy option of what you know

No comments:

Post a Comment